I don’t know if I’ve mentioned before but Sun City is a childhood dream. Still is a dream. Besides the renovations, nothing has changed about this gem. In my opinion, it is still the very same place I eagerly looked forward to visiting over a decade ago.
The atmosphere still echos the fact that the classic ‘Mr Bones’ scenes were shot here. It still says, “I am the host of top tier festivals, awards shows and celebrity weddings”. Anyway that is besides this post’s point.
This Christmas I visited Mogwase, a place I consider my home in SA. Mogwase is just a stone thrown away from the Sun City Resort. To complete my christmas holidays itinerary I embarked on a short left trip to the resort. Due to some logistics though, I ended up making it in the afternoon hence covering the valley of waves ONLY, instead.
If you’re thinking of visiting sun city resort, here’s a guide to visiting the Valley of Waves:
1. WHAT TO WEAR
- Bikini (for Ladies) or Surf shorts (for Lads)
2. FINANCIAL CONSIDERATIONS
- R75 entry into Sun City Resort
- R185 (Off Peak) entry into Valley of Waves, includes use of all slides and the Lazy River
- R80 Towel
- R50 Life Jacket
- R50 Umbrella
- R100 Small Locker
Note that, not all of these facilities are necessary/compulsory to use. The compulsory ones are entry fees
3. ACTIVITIES TO DO
- Slides (Temple of Courage, Scorpion, Tarantula, Mamba, Noble’s Descent, Viper, Boomerango)
- Dine (The Food Factory, The Brew Monkey)
- Relax (The Lazy River, The Royal Baths, Spider Web Sway Bridge)
- FNB and Absa ATM
- The Candy Store
- Lockers, Umbrella, Towels and Life Jackets for hire
- Various water rides and slides
- Change rooms and bathrooms
5. OPERATING HOURS
- September-April 0900-1800
- May-August 1000-1700
6. TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- No Food and Beverages from outside
- Bags are searched
TIP: Bring along your sun screen, moisturiser or any of your valuable cosmetic products just so you look as normal after a water-filled day of activities
7. SNAP SNAP SNAP
- DSLR Camera and/or Smart Phone
because, boy this resort is inspiration all over if you are a landscape or nature photography fanatic.